A Locomotive model in TSM

If you are user of the excellent Abacus TrainSim Modeler, meet up with other users of this product here.

Moderator: Moderators

A Locomotive model in TSM

Postby mrmosky on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:13 pm

I am a relatively new user to TSM. Since Christmas I followed the excellent loco building tutorial, and then decided to try it out on a model for my route. This is going to be a Beyer Peacock 4-2-0ST that was used by the Cannock Chase Colliery company for nearly 100 years. made in 1856 or thereabouts. I have nearly finished the modelling - just a few more details to add; then I need to paint it. At the moment the model has over 20,000 polys when converted to run in MSTS (Openrails). The tutorial I followed by Richard Osborne, suggested many ways of reducing poly count as it went along, but I largely ignored this in my engine and went for good detail. I figure that modern PC's and Openrails can cope with a larger number of Polys, and in while there is a case for reducing poly count in a truck, where there are going to be many, there are only going to be a few engines, so why not get a better model.
I have attached my current state of progress and a photograph of the original. I don't have any drawings but quite a few photographs from different angles.

Once it is all finished I will be uploading to the site.
Cheers,
Geoff
Attachments
05101-mcclean-0-4-2st-beyer-peacock-28-1856-cannock-chase-colliery-co.jpg
Anglesey_sample.JPG
mrmosky
Getting the hang of things now

Re: A Locomotive model in TSM

Postby BrianB on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi Geoff,

Very nice !

I don't know if you are aware that I'm in the process of back-dating Don HInton's original 1950's/60's Black Country route to LNWR era in 1920. As part of that route, of course, is all the original work Don did regarding the Cannock Chase line and its associated collieries.

So far, the only authentic industrial loco to suit this route we have is Littleton No4 - so, your new loco is more than welcome. It will be nice to have a couple of 'proper' industrials to go with the updated route.

I've had a quick look at your Diaries pages, and associated Cannock area colliery photos - quite impressive.

Regards, Brian Bere-Streeter
"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
BrianB
Established Forum Member

Postby deltic009 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:54 am

Great work, looks a good model so far. Only thing I'd say is 0-4-2 is the wheel arrangement isn't it?
Matthew Wilson, currently working on far too many things and always willing to help where I can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_WILSON
deltic009
Very Active Forum Member

Postby mrmosky on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:56 am

BrianB wrote:Hi Geoff,

Very nice !

I don't know if you are aware that I'm in the process of back-dating Don HInton's original 1950's/60's Black Country route to LNWR era in 1920. As part of that route, of course, is all the original work Don did regarding the Cannock Chase line and its associated collieries.

So far, the only authentic industrial loco to suit this route we have is Littleton No4 - so, your new loco is more than welcome. It will be nice to have a couple of 'proper' industrials to go with the updated route.

I've had a quick look at your Diaries pages, and associated Cannock area colliery photos - quite impressive.

Regards, Brian Bere-Streeter

Hi Brian,

I did not know that you were working on an update/backdate to the CC route. I have the Black Country route and it's great, but the part Don missed out was the area around Chasewater, and the lines through Chasetown (where I live) and Chase Terrace, to Cannock Wood colliery. I have been working on a route centred around this area using Goku's route editor. This meant starting from scratch, as Don's route is not placed in exactly the right geographical position, and that means the mapping and terrain generation do not work. Using the correct lat and long for the route made laying out the tracks easy, and the terrain is pretty good too. I have only made small progress so far, and I was thinking of making a highly detailed, but small sized route just around the Chasetown collieries, down to the canal wharf, and Anglesea sidings. There would be plenty of possible shunting activities to be done. There were at least 3 of these engines at Chasetown, and a couple of others were spread around the area. So it would be great if you could use one on your route. I am also thinking of making a model of the Sharp Stewart Tank loco they had (No. 6), which they apparently used for longer (inter-mine)trips. see photo.
Attachments
No6b.jpg
mrmosky

Postby mrmosky on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 am

deltic009 wrote:Great work, looks a good model so far. Only thing I'd say is 0-4-2 is the wheel arrangement isn't it?

Quite right - my mistake.
mrmosky

Postby mrmosky on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:00 pm

I have made more progress with my model of McClean. I still have a few more details to add. I am wrestling with texturing the model at the moment. It seems that a component on the model will not cast a shadow on another part. This is a bit limiting, since handrails etc. would cast shadows of their own. I could put these in as a dummy component, but it seems to be an awkward way of doing it.

Any tips gratefully recieved on testing the model prior to uploading.

Geoff
Attachments
McClean4.JPG
mrmosky

Postby BrianB on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:40 am

Hi Geoff,

As far as Black Country - LNWR 1920 goes, I'm mainly back-dating the main ex-LNWR lines to LNWR 1920 era. The colliery lines are basically left as Don made them, however a few 'modern' lines have been cut out (such as Lea Hall colliery and Rugeley power station, Hams Hall power station and Measford power station) - obviously modern buildings have been taken out as well.

The main aim of the route is to run authentic LNWR trains in relatively realistic LNWR era style scenery. The colliery and industrial railways are simply 'sidelines' to the main theme. As I said earlier, your new 'proper' industrial locos will be very welcome.

The route is progressing well - I'm hoping for a first quarter release - but, as always, it will be ready when its ready ! Note, I've been releasing LNWR stock as I go along - do a bit on the route, shift to stock for a break, go back to route, and repeat !

Regards, Brian
BrianB
Established Forum Member

Postby mrmosky on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Here is the update on my model of McClean. I have learned a lot about texturing in the last week by looking at tutorials and working things out. At the moment Mc Clean is painted in a livery that is parhaps too shiny, but we could suppose that he would have had several re-fits in his 100 year life! I should be able to dirty the textures up a bit to provide a more working look. In the image, the loco is just entering the sidings near Hednesford (this is for you Brian).

Just a few more details to add, whistle and lamps are two obvious ones.

As at present, this loco will not run in MSTS, only Open Rails.

Geoff
Attachments
McClean7.JPG
mrmosky

Postby BrianB on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:31 am

Looking good !!!
BrianB
Established Forum Member

Postby mrmosky on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:26 pm

This past week has seen some more progress. I have tried some different paint schemes, and also added the whistle and lights. Some other improvements can't be seen, but I have been tidying up some of the parts.
McClean8.JPG

I also wanted to use a relevant cab view. There are none quite suitable, so I have been modifying one in order to find out how cab editing is done. The MSTS cab editor does not work on my PC - keeps crashing, so I have been editing the ACE files and the CVF script in order to get things moving. Here is the result so far. This was a left hand drive cab view from the Common Cabs, so I've flipped it to RH, and moved things about. Making the windows the right shape too. I will end up replacing all of these textures I guess, but at least I have a better idea how it works now. I have had some pictures of a similar locomotive from a Railway Museum in Finland, after I contacted them, and I am waiting for some more from Gavle Museum in Sweden, where they also have a similar loco in their collection.

Cab.JPG
mrmosky

Postby mrmosky on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:41 pm

For the last couple of weeks, my main occupation has been with the Cab View. I recieved some photographs of a similar locomotive from Gavle Museum in Sweden, and these were a help in deciding where things should be placed. As the Cab editor program was not working for me, I have had to do this by editing the CVF file, which has been interesting. I may write a short tutorial on what I've done, as it may encourage others to have a go. This would include some tips for using Paint.net as a image editor, which has been ideal for sorting out the cab bits and pieces.
I just need to add a Pressure gauge and maybe change the graphics for the blower and sander.
Then a bit more tidying up and it should be ready for uploading; maybe in a week or two.
Attachments
Cabview2.JPG
mrmosky

Postby mrmosky on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Ok, so now the front view of the cab is complete, and I just need to create some side views, which should be a piece of cake compared to the front view!
Cabview3.JPG

I've also created a texture out of a screen shot of the cab view and applied it to the back face of the cab front in the model. I have added a couple of features, like the regulator handle, and some gauge bumps, to add realism. This looks quite effective in the sim.
Geoff
Cabview4.JPG
mrmosky

Postby mrmosky on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:07 pm

So, I have uploaded this engine to the website. It is awaiting approval at the moment.
This is my first effort at asset creation, so it will be good to see if it works ok for other people. As I mentioned before, it is not yet suitable for MSTS, but runs for me in open rails. If any one would care to have a go at editing the model to be suitable for MSTS, I would be willing to hand over the model files.
Geoff
mrmosky

Postby ianmacmillan on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm

I look forward to downloading this loco and would be happy to have a look at the TSM files and kill a few polys.

My email ian(at)woodstock-wagon( dot co dot UK)

Or use https://www.hightail.com/

TooManyPolys400.jpg

If it's got buffers it's Chain.
ianmacmillan
Very Active Forum Member

Postby mrmosky on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks Ian. I'll send the files so you can take a look.

Geoff
mrmosky

Return to Abacus TS Modeler