Been a bit quiet in here

Moderator: Moderators

Been a bit quiet in here

Postby SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:07 pm

It has been a little quiet in the Australia/NZ forum lately so I thought I might just pop in and say hello.

I am really happy with the new sim by Kuju and I am looking forward to the developer's tools. I have already started working on an Australian Steam Locomotive for the sim. I'll post a couple of screenshots soon once I can get it into the sim. I'm also hoping to start work shortly on an Australian route.

Only 5 days to go until we get the tools!!

Cheers
Sydney Pioneer Railway Works
SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks
Getting the hang of things now

Re: Been a bit quiet in here

Postby Alex2s on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:06 am

ahh good stuff... and good luck!
Alex2s
New to the Forums

Postby zimsta on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:10 am

ahh awsome news mate, cant wait to see those screenies
Aussie freight train driver
zimsta

Postby CaptainBazza on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:54 pm

I would like to try making at least one RS locomotive before I decide whether or not to pull the plug on RS. First choice, narrow gauge Chinese C2, 0-8-0 tender locomotive, second choice (only temporary textures) NZR Class J, 4-8-2 tender locomotive and third choice, a new Ab built from original plans. Spoiled for choice, really, but it all depends on the DevKit.

Cheers Bazza
CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Postby steampsi on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:49 am

What editor are you using ?

Ive started on a D57.
steampsi
Been on the forums for a while

Postby SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:00 pm

My first locomotive has the number "1".

It is a Stephenson built locomotive 0-4-2 built for the first railway line in Sydney in 1855.

I'm using 3D max for my models so I hope there will be an exporter released soon.

Cheers

Postby CaptainBazza on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:52 am

Numero Uno, looks numero uno! Lovely job on the domes, too. Have you read the RS docs relating to modeling and texturing...interesting reading and a might scarey to this old modeler....

Cheers n good luck with the project.
Bazza
CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Postby SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:22 am

Thanks Bazza,
I'm actually in the process of reading through the docs. It's going to be a steep learning curve.

Cheers

Postby Potoroo on Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:22 pm

SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks wrote:My first locomotive has the number "1".

It is a Stephenson built locomotive 0-4-2 built for the first railway line in Sydney in 1855.

That's a lovely model. Do you think you might ever do one of Australia's first steam loco? :wink:
Potoroo

Postby SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:43 pm

What was Australia's first loco? Is it the one that ran on the first railway in Melbourne? I've never actually seen a photograph or drawing of this locomotive.

My main objective is to get this model of "Number 1" completed to run on my new route "Railways of Sydney 1855" which I made a start on last night with all the markers in place and DEM completed.

After this project is completed I might consider tackling other pioneering rolling stock and railways.

cheers,

Postby Potoroo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 am

SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks wrote:What was Australia's first loco? Is it the one that ran on the first railway in Melbourne? I've never actually seen a photograph or drawing of this locomotive.

Yes, the Melbourne-Sandridge line (12 Sept 1854), built and operated by the Melbourne and Hobson's Bay Railway Company, was operational just over a year before the Sydney-Parramatta line (25 Sept 1855). Because it was completed ahead of schedule the two locomotives ordered from Robert Stephenson & Co. had not been delivered, so the first two steam locomotives in Australia were built locally by Robertson, Martin and Smith (one of which was a goods truck with a converted pile-driver engine!). The Victorian Railways: Celebrating 150 years of Victorian Railways web site has this undated photo of a Hobson's Bay 0-2-0:
This is probably not one of the four locomotives built by Stephenson which arrived in March, 1855 (named Melbourne, Sandridge, Victoria, and Yarra). The Melbourne and Sandridge, subsequently sold to the St. Kilda and Brighton Railway Company on 1 Feb 1861, were 2-4-0WT (WT=Well Tank) configurations. If we assume the Victoria and Yarra were the same then this picture may well be of the very first steam locomotive in Australia.
Potoroo

Postby SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:14 pm

I love it!! That would be a really interesting model to make.

Thanks for the information about Australia's first railway line. Is that the same line which now sees trams running to Port Melbourne?

Cheers

Postby Potoroo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:51 pm

SydneyPioneerRailwayWorks wrote:Is that the same line which now sees trams running to Port Melbourne?

Yes. The 109 tram runs to Port Melbourne although it doesn't go all the way onto Station Pier, stopping at Beaconsfield Parade, and the bridge over the Yarra it ran on from Flinders St station is now a footbridge. Incidentally, the 96 tram runs on the old Melbourne-St Kilda line (the second line in Melbourne).
Potoroo

Return to [RS] Australia / New Zealand