MSTS No CD??

General MSTS related discussion that doesn't really fit into any of the other specific forums.

Moderator: Moderators

MSTS No CD??

Postby danielw2599 on Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:24 pm

Hi,

One I first bought MSTS when it was first released, the CD was not needed to play/use it. Having just purchased a new copy from Play.com it turns out I now need the disc to use.

Is there a no cd patch or crack available to use. (Please note - I own the origional disc and I want to make my life a bit easier. I DON'T SUPPORT ILLEGAL COPYS IN ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM!)

Thanks

Daniel
danielw2599
Very Active Forum Member

Postby buffy500 on Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:35 pm

Download the 1.2 update from MS and install that.
buffy500
Mr DMU

post subject

Postby Tonysmedley on Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:15 am

You will find the MSTS updates on the Bala Hub CD A lot easier than getting the download from Microsoft!
Tony (the old one)
Tonysmedley
Very Active Forum Member

Postby LucaZone on Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:44 pm

If you have the bala hub cd that is.....

as Buffy said, the MSTS 1.2 update that had some content and tool patches is the one that takes it back to 'No CD' mode :)

Its best to keep copies of at least the core game updates. for situations just like this. You come back to the game after months and find it difficult to get things running as smoothly as you remember. The patches are also only a few Mb's at most so its no HDD hog. :)

If you do have trouble getting them send me a PM and I will mail them too you.
. . : :Simulating the UK's first dedicated high speed line for MSTS: : . .[url=http://www.futrondesign.co.uk]
Image[/url]
LucaZone
vCTRL Developer

Postby danielw2599 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:08 pm

Thanks for the info guys, downloading as I type.

Daniel
danielw2599
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Stooopidperson on Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:19 pm

LucaZone wrote:as Buffy said, the MSTS 1.2 update that had some content and tool patches is the one that takes it back to 'No CD' mode :)

You don't need the 50MB V1.2 update! All you need is the V1.1 update! v1.2 never modified the train.exe file, it's only V1.1 which modified the train.exe file and the tools.
If you were wondering, the avatar is me on Planet Stooopid...
Stooopidperson
Very Active Forum Member

Postby olympusman on Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:39 am

Could danielw tell us if the download cured the problem!
I also have had the CD problem. If danielw or anyone has actually found a solution to it, could they give me clear details of it and where it can be obtained, downloaded or whatever.
I have never had Trainsim 1.1. My first usage of Trainsim was when I bought trainsim second edition ( V1.2, class 50 etc) a couple of months ago. The cd request has occurred right from the initial installation.
I noticed something called Cdfixer amongst the Uk trainsim downloads (file 9255). I contacted the uploader, Glyn Phillips, who said it was for curing the insert problem. However the impression I got was that it was to cure a problem arising after upgrading or patching from 1.1 to 1.2. So I am not clear if it would deal with the 1.2 version direct from the 1.2 disc.
I ran Cdfixer anyway, but it just said that the fix was not needed, and not surprisingly the problem still remains.
Glyn said that the insert request could be satisfied by inserting any old CD. This is not true in my case, it has to be one of the two Trainsim discs. I thought it had to be Disc 2, but it seems either will do.
The message I get just says to insert the disc and does not specify which.
I would imagine some people running Trainsim V1.2 first time after installation would not initially get the disc insert message simply because disc 2 would have probably still be left in the cd drive.
I did wonder if the cd insert request might be removed if one registered train simulator. I started the registration process, but was told one had to sign up for Microsoft passport, which seemed irrelavant and might be a snooping or invasive thing, so I did not go through with it.
I wondered if I could at least use a copy to satisfy the insert request. If it is actually possible to copy the disc. I did try copying one of the discs but got errors reported, not sure if I just had a bad disc or if there is come copying block applied.
Having read these forum messages I went onto the MSTS website and downloaded the V1.2 update (1.98mb). I ran this but it has had no effect either.
I suppose one could build in an extra drive specifically for holding the Trainsim disc! However all four of my ide cable positions are used.
Any help much appreciated.
olympusman
Getting the hang of things now

Postby 45002 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:04 am

I am getting message no disk in drive D,but only when i use Activity Editor this started after installing service pack 2 for windows XP ???????? Would this have anythink to do with what danielw2599 said in his topic if he is using XP.
martin.birmingham
Very Active Forum Member

Postby ianmacmillan on Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:41 am

If it gives you an option to continue do so.

My version asks that after I have used any CD.
It gives up after about half a dozen times.

And you should definately make a copy of the disks.

I installed MSTS, copied the disk, uninstalled MSTS and reinstalled from the copy.

I have never opened the original since.

ianmacmillan
Very Active Forum Member

Postby jbilton on Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:25 am

olympusman wrote:Could danielw tell us if the download cured the problem!
I also have had the CD problem. If danielw or anyone has actually found a solution to it, could they give me clear details of it and where it can be obtained, downloaded or whatever.
I have never had Trainsim 1.1. My first usage of Trainsim was when I bought trainsim second edition ( V1.2, class 50 etc) a couple of months ago. The cd request has occurred right from the initial installation.
I noticed something called Cdfixer amongst the Uk trainsim downloads (file 9255). I contacted the uploader, Glyn Phillips, who said it was for curing the insert problem. However the impression I got was that it was to cure a problem arising after upgrading or patching from 1.1 to 1.2. So I am not clear if it would deal with the 1.2 version direct from the 1.2 disc.
I ran Cdfixer anyway, but it just said that the fix was not needed, and not surprisingly the problem still remains.
Glyn said that the insert request could be satisfied by inserting any old CD. This is not true in my case, it has to be one of the two Trainsim discs. I thought it had to be Disc 2, but it seems either will do.
The message I get just says to insert the disc and does not specify which.
I would imagine some people running Trainsim V1.2 first time after installation would not initially get the disc insert message simply because disc 2 would have probably still be left in the cd drive.
I did wonder if the cd insert request might be removed if one registered train simulator. I started the registration process, but was told one had to sign up for Microsoft passport, which seemed irrelavant and might be a snooping or invasive thing, so I did not go through with it.
I wondered if I could at least use a copy to satisfy the insert request. If it is actually possible to copy the disc. I did try copying one of the discs but got errors reported, not sure if I just had a bad disc or if there is come copying block applied.
Having read these forum messages I went onto the MSTS website and downloaded the V1.2 update (1.98mb). I ran this but it has had no effect either.
I suppose one could build in an extra drive specifically for holding the Trainsim disc! However all four of my ide cable positions are used.
Any help much appreciated.

Hi
I have found exactly all the same as yourself.I did once try to use a earlier version of train.exe (which didn't need the cd) but I seemed to get colour distortion...which may or may not have been related.
I ended up reinstalling....and need to have the cd in the drive to start....but you can remove it once the game is running.
Two temp files are written to the HD...I have tried saving these...but that doesnt work either.
My number 2 cd is now damaged(sratched)...and is difficult to install from.
Cheers
Jon
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby LucaZone on Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:26 pm

Stooopidperson wrote:
LucaZone wrote:as Buffy said, the MSTS 1.2 update that had some content and tool patches is the one that takes it back to 'No CD' mode :)

You don't need the 50MB V1.2 update! All you need is the V1.1 update! v1.2 never modified the train.exe file, it's only V1.1 which modified the train.exe file and the tools.

Can you still get the v1.1 patch on its own though? I thought they now include the 1.1 changes in the full 1.2 patch. Saving users downloading two files.
LucaZone
vCTRL Developer

Postby Stooopidperson on Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:00 pm

LucaZone wrote:Can you still get the v1.1 patch on its own though? I thought they now include the 1.1 changes in the full 1.2 patch. Saving users downloading two files.

Yep, you can
http://www.microsoft.com/games/trainsim ... nloads.asp
It's at the bottom, the one which is 1.98MB.
MS seems to have renamed the V1.1 fix to V1.2 and the V1.2 to Train Simulator Add-ons.... :roll:
Stooopidperson
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [MSTS1] General MSTS Discussion