Mid East Plus track layouts

General MSTS related discussion that doesn't really fit into any of the other specific forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid East Plus track layouts

Postby ajax103 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:01 pm

This is to the team behind ME+, I've brought a excellent book called "Diesels out of Kings Cross" which has some very interesting photos in it from the 70's and 80's. Now to my point, I know you basing the route in 1977 with 10 years either side so I'm wondering what the track layouts are going to be like...ie Kings Cross had 15 platforms where I have no idea, Sandy and one or two others down the GN lost their island platforms, Hornsey TSC didn't exist as it was at the time Ferme Park Marshalling Yard, Harringray lost their Up Fast platforms etc... The one thing that I am hoping to see if the team can do it is to see what the Peterborough Station layout was like before the modernisation started.

Just getting so excited about it, :D
ajax103
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Mid East Plus track layouts

Postby Lad491 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:24 pm

OK im not an expert on the route, im just doing some activities for it BUT .....

I recall seeing Ferme Park Marshalling Yard in the editor whilst writing activities - so thats there im sure. Sandy doesnt have a Fast line platform and i dont think Haringay has either, but as I say dont quote me. Ive not counted the number of platforms at KingsX but there are a lot :)

Mick Clarke, the route author, or some other knowledgable sage on the team may answer further or tell me im wrong :(
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Postby ajax103 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:22 am

Lad491 wrote:OK im not an expert on the route, im just doing some activities for it BUT .....

I recall seeing Ferme Park Marshalling Yard in the editor whilst writing activities - so thats there im sure. Sandy doesnt have a Fast line platform and i dont think Haringay has either, but as I say dont quote me. Ive not counted the number of platforms at KingsX but there are a lot :)

Mick Clarke, the route author, or some other knowledgable sage on the team may answer further or tell me im wrong :(

Okay, I got that book thanks to one of you guys who had posted about it. Quite a good book, I'm just waiting for a similar book to cover St Neots to Peterborough :D
ajax103
Very Active Forum Member

Postby systema on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:03 pm

MidEastPlus is semi fictional. That is to say though based roughly on the mid 70s it contains elements from the 60s pre Beeching, and also elements from more recent times. However the main intention is that it is a diesel route set in the blue grey era. There are many long lost branch lines and local stations no longer in use for your enjoyment and to add extra interest.

KX has 11 platforms based on the current set up but with the refueling yard still intact.
Moorgate branch is included but in MEP it sees diesel traffic. This is to compensate for the lack of the widened lines route that used to run to Moorgate from KX and gives added potential for suburban services.

Harringay and Hornsey have no fast line platforms. Ferme Park Flyover is included with most of the sidings and yards.

Fictional Royal Mail yards are included at Finsbury and Peterborough.

Sandy has no island platforms but Huntingdon does. This is to accomodate the services to Houghton and Little Barford (fictional) and possibly one day the resurrection of the St Ives Branch to Cambridge.

The Hertford Loop is included.

Peterborough is as is now, but with the correct track layout to Whittlesey and a connection to what is now the Nene Valley Railway.

The Spalding March line is resurrected.

The line from Spalding to Boston is resurrected and goes on to Skegness and Burgh Le Marsh.

Hitchin to Kings Lynn is included with the well known West Curve at Ely and the Barrington Light Railway near Cambridge.

The Hunstanton Branch from Kings Lynn is included

The Derwent Valley Light Railway near York is included

The Knottingley Freight loop from York to Doncaster is included.

Snaith to the outskirts of Leeds is included.

This lot should keep you amused for a while. :D

Hopefully it won't be all that long now before you get your hands on the route. Further announcements will be made nearer completion of stage 1. Please don't ask for a launch date; I promise it will be sooner rather than later.

Mick Clarke
Heading North and East
systema
Very Active Forum Member

Postby ajax103 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:03 pm

Ah fantastic news, I can't wait to be able to order it and of course get the team a virtual beer to celebrate, :D
ajax103
Very Active Forum Member

Postby peo1000 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:55 pm

I am pleased to hear that the Derwent Valley Light Railway is included, I assume this means the foss islands line which it connected with is also there along with the Rowntrees chocolate factory sidings and halt? I have an interesting picture of the last train through there in 1988, it is all a cycle track now.
I really can't wait to get my mitts on this one :D
I think MSTS will stay on my Hard Drive for quite some time to come. Especially with releases like this on the horizon

Cheers

Rich
peo1000
Been on the forums for a while

Postby systema on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:14 pm

I am pleased to hear that the Derwent Valley Light Railway is included, I assume this means the foss islands line which it connected with is also there along with the Rowntrees chocolate factory sidings and halt? I have an interesting picture of the last train through there in 1988, it is all a cycle track now.
I really can't wait to get my mitts on this one :D

Yes, Foss Island and Rowntrees Factory (plus halt) are included, though the current factory layout is very limited. This may be increased when York Station is complete. I am awaiting the affect this will have on polycounts etc- these tiles are already heavily populated. :-?

Mick Clarke
systema
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gasman on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Looking at the description of the route it looks awesome! Will Mid East Plus write over the top of Mid East 1.4.5 or will it install as a new route?

Dennis
Even Amoeba's have down time
gasman
Getting the hang of things now

Postby systema on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:34 pm

MEP is an entirely new route, so you could run either the old or the new on the same installation; not sure why you would want to run the old version though.

Here is Rowntree Halt

Foss Island Yard

Mick Clarke
systema
Very Active Forum Member

Postby peo1000 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:34 pm

Cool, an activity involving delivery of ferry wagons of chocolate to Dringhouses yard hauled by an 08 will be in the pipeline once I get hold of the route, that is if Dringhouses is there :D
I await with much anticipation. It'll be great to recreate those long forgotten train services in the York area in more detail than was afforded with ECE. One last question is will the DVLR go to its original terminus at Cliffe Common or is it only going as far as Dunnington which would be prototypical for the 70's until closure?

there is also a wealth of information on the history of the Derwent Valley Railway at http://www.dvlr.org.uk/ including pre closure photos of J72 Joem running the ill fated summer season passenger runs to Dunnington in 1977/78.

Regards

Rich Peo
peo1000

Postby lateagain on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:41 pm

gasman wrote:Looking at the description of the route it looks awesome! Will Mid East Plus write over the top of Mid East 1.4.5 or will it install as a new route?

Dennis

It'll be a new route.

It will install seperately, so if you've activities you enjoy or have created for any version of ME there's no need to uninstall it.

MEP builds on and extends ME but what Mick is too modest to say is that he's ALMOST completely re-sceneried the parts of the route that existed in ME. The trackwork has been modified in just about every existing location and hundreds of miles of new track laid, tested and tweaked. Those of you who loved ME will recognise the old bits but there's so much extra track that It's almost like a totally new route. Those of you who like the foliage in RS will be amazed at what Mike Sinclair has produced and how well it's been used by Mick. There's also custom built station buildings from emufarmer3 and yet more new stock from Tim and a good few other well known modellers and skinners.

There have been more than 10 beta versions and later found glitches have caused extensive rewrites and re-jigs of activities.

Believe me it will have been worth the wait.

Geoff

Mick beat me to it :D and we're hoping to get permission for some excellent continental ferrywagons if I can track down the authors for permissions.
Last edited by lateagain on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lateagain
Very Active Forum Member

Postby peo1000 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:44 pm

(Edit)The route looks awesome I can't wait, It also look really close to the real thing.

Rowntrees Halt with Chocolate siding to the right in the trees!!!
peo1000

Postby systema on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:02 am

Rich,

You actually asked two questions.

Dringhouses is included.

The DVLR terminates at Wheldrake. :)

Mick Clarke
systema
Very Active Forum Member

Postby chrisiveson on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:40 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- :D :D :D -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris. :D
chrisiveson
Very Active Forum Member

Postby ajax103 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:57 am

Looks good, :D Can't wait to drive the 37's up and down there, 8)
ajax103
Very Active Forum Member

Next

Return to [MSTS1] General MSTS Discussion