2017 Barry. Maritime

Ship Simulator is a great simulator which seeks to simulate boating from small taxi craft to giant cargo ships and the Titanic. There's also the excellent Virtual Sailor for a highly realistic experience that includes wind-sailing, submarines and multiplayer!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2017 Barry. Maritime

Postby precar on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:49 pm

With the uncertainty of the Blender Game Engine in the future and no feedback it is difficult to maintain interest.
With 30 large size BASIC 50 km routes mades : 24, I think at 20-25km so which is best to continue with?
50 km is about 6 time the area of the 20 km route and there are problems working on them and probably too large to add much to them.
20 km might have a better chance of working in the future updates of Blender and easier to work on?

For me to fix any routes I can only do that if the problem is detailed maybe in this thread. What I see on my computer might be different to what you see. Also with some feedback I could start adding a few scenarios of actual tasks for the boats. Some help with Blender would be appreciated with feedback and much more could be done. Your own alterations to my routes and details on how to achieve the effect but NOT Tutorials. Also bearing in mind the routes are made available for download and people might have lower end computers and laptops.

Barry and Thanks
precar
Well Established Forum Member

Postby precar on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:55 am

As Blender is fundamental to making my maritime routes I will include this post on the ship simulator forum rather than the Blender forum.
I mentioned the possible future changes to the Blender Game Engine and pondering on which way to continue as my route making is currently on hold.
Several previous problems seem to have been fixed as you can now type in the position of the vertices (dots that make the terrain) without them flying back to within 10,000 meters.
Next I devised a floating method for boats and by offsetting the collision box around the and now using 'rigid body' instead of dynamic that enables locks to be used and realistic bumping against quays etc now seems possible.

The biggest problem was having to use an old version of Blender, 2.49b, to enable the script to generate vertices as you could adjust the quantity of vertices dots that make the terrain mesh) for make larger routes. With the modern recent script you can't adjust the quantity of vertices on larger routes but again I think the solution is the fairly recent 'limited dissolve' in Blender which can be used to make the sea, estuaries and terrain. This method still retain the shape of the inland land and enables the modern script to be used that works with the current versions of Blender and reduces the quantity of vertices considereably.

That updates the slightly technical side of my route making so far. Considering using 40 km size maritime routes using limited dissolve and the modern script. 20 km size was too small and theI 50 km too large which is over 6 times the 20 km area. 40 km would be about right as enables a few ports and harbours to be included in one route. I can copy and past a lot from route to route. This method enables the terrain mesh to open up rivers is fine enough to work with.

I will start making a new sequence of routes, again at approx. at 40 km size, making the basic routes to begin with, starting from Solway Firth and alter the pages on my site. Not sure if any of these routes are of interest to others but they are of interest to me and 'should' anybody else be interested all the better.

Thanks Barry
precar

Postby precar on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Starts from Solway route 01 so four on line and will rotate them in sequence...add one to end and remove first.
40 km size now but makes a big difference as can use the modern script and use limited dissolve on the terrain mesh...reduced about 300,000 plus vertices in mesh down to about 100 to 150 thousand. Full of holes but still looks about right.
Also perhaps the routes might still be usable with future updates of Blender and doubtful with the previous 50 km size?.
Online... Solway, Lakes, Isle of Man, Barrow in Furness. Drivable ship or boat on each.
I will probably remake the 30 previously made before starting updates and adding content and making rivers.
20km size discontinued and not available for download now as too time comsuming with smaller size.

Barry

http://www.barrygandsw.co.uk/
precar

Postby precar on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:51 pm

You certainly go around in circles trying to make routes in Blender. Met a few problems again with larger routes at 40km. So far all the 20 km size routes work OK and the only problem was you need a lot of them making to make any progress, if travelling along the UK coastline but much easier to shape the land as the terain mesh is finer with 20km. B
precar

Postby precar on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Seems a pity that the Blender Game seems to have been a bit neglected over the years of Blender updates. Also now with talk of changes to the Blender Game engine I have no idea if it will be possible to make maritime routes with it. Rather than spending further time making maritime routes that might become unusable in the future perhaps best to see what happens in the 2.8 series, as they are up to 2.78a now. If some definitive news regarding the Game Engine was announced at least that would help to make things more clear ! So out of ideas at present.

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 am

I have started remaking the routes from Solway Firth towards the Thames Estuary.
Discontinued the small 20 km size routes as I have no idea if they will work OK in the future with the possible changes to the Blender Game Engine.

With the larger routes they will be square 25km to 40 km. approx.
By using the newer functions I can make routes with substantially less vertices in the terrain 300,000 to 350,000 down to 100,000 to 150,000.
Limited dissolve and select linked flat planes enables me to remove most of the vertices from the seabed part of the terrain and still keep the sloping shoreline. So choosing the route areas carefully to include plenty of sea to keep the terrain vertices count reasonable.By this method I can still still keep all the vertices that make the rest of the terrain and rivers and keep the sloping shoreline .

I have changed what I include for download. I am listing five routes for download starting from route 1 from the Solway Firth and then anti-clockwise around the coast. Routes will be basic to begin with at least untill I reach the Thames area, then might continue further around the UK or start updating the routes or both.

I will rotate the routes for download by adding one to the end and removing one from the front. When I build up a stock I will start to update them. Also by then I might get to know what might change in the Game Engine in the Blender updates.

Current routes as from 23 Feb 2017 (these will change as explained).

01 Solway
02 Solway
03 Full Isle of Man
04 Coastal Lakeland
05 Cumbria

Next will be route 6 with rivers Ribble, Douglas and Wyre when I start to rotate them and remove 01 Solway....etc.

Thanks

Barry

P.S. Whether I can continue will depend on the possible changes to the Blender Game Engine in the future Blender updates so trying to think ahead and keeping the complexity of the routes 'simple'. You will need Blender installed to open the Blend file and run the routes
precar

Postby precar on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I think it's best to put the maritime route making in Blender Game Engine on hold, perhaps permanent.
Perhaps not the best software for making 30 to 40 km size maritime real life type simulations.
Another problem is the variety of computers etc nowadays with the different operating sytems with possible less interest in desk-top computers or more powerful laptops?

So I think it is time for me to let the route making have a long rest, unless another route making free program become available for maritime route making with easy texturing method for real textures, etc!

Maritime 'Open Rails' now that would be interesting!

Barry
precar

Postby precar on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 pm

For now I have removed all the download routes from my site as I am out of ideas.
I don't know of any other free software suitable to make maritime basic simulations...except the Blender Game Engine part of Blender.
I joined the Blender Artists Forum but real life maritime simulations seems to be of no interest, so that forum does not seem to be of any use to me at all?

So plenty of routes made but whether they would continue to run with the possible changes to the Blender Game Engine part of Blender in the future updates... I have no idea
Also people would need 'Windows' and Blender installed and the desktop computer does not seem as popular as years ago? Seems to be more computer tablets, small laptops and mobile on-line phones.

So completely out of ideas....Barry
precar

Postby precar on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Update - restarted the larger maritime routes at approx. 25km to 45 km.
Discontinued the 20 km routes as too small.
Working on Solway Firth to Thames.
Will leave 4 basic routes on line for download which I will rotate. Seperate descriptive page for each route.
When I reach the Thames I will return to the start and begin to update them.
These routes are new made, so basic only for a while with one drivable sailing ship/boat.
The emphasis will be on the coastal simulation of the past ages and bygone times and not as a game.
Much will be guesswork and approximate applying to both descriptions and content.

I won't post regarding each rotation of routes - add one to end remove one from the beginning of the 4.
Also whether I continue will depend on future Blender Game Engine updates and the routes still working?

http://www.barrygandsw.co.uk/intro01.html

As usual queries and discussion welcome.

Barry
precar

Previous

Return to [SHIP] Ship Simulators