Chiltern Class 68 Missing : HELP !

General discussion about RailWorks, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Chiltern Class 68 Missing : HELP !

Postby davejc64 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Ok I surrender you win. :P
"Young boys in the park jumpers for goalposts, that's what football is all about."
davejc64
Very Active Forum Member

Postby shinymac on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi Gary

Phew ! Calm down guys. I appreciate all the help I can get, and appreciate EVERYONES time and intervention on this.

So Gary....what do you suggest I do next ?

My Antivirus software is Bullguard. I have never had a problem installing ANY other TS add ons, and have had Bullguard for several years, so its not something I have just changed to.

When I right click on the install file "Install CML.exe" and check administrator rights, a little "shield" is shown alongside "run as administrator". Does this mean that this exe file already HAS admin rights ?

My default path for TS is D: Games/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Railworks. It is not on my C Drive.

The few scenarios that I have checked in the route, all seem to load up fine, except for the ones needing the Class 68 of course, which come up with the missing file warning.

Any more help Gary please ?

Thanks

Derek
shinymac
Established Forum Member

Postby tnleeuw01 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Just for information, my install path is not default either (it's D:\Games\Steam\ etc, same as Derek's) and I have never experienced any issues installing the Chiltern liveried Class 68. My user account on Windows does not have administrative rights either.

So I believe we can rule out the installation path as cause of the problem.

I wonder if the problem is at least partially caused by the fact that, if I understood it correctly, you have already unpacked the AP archive of the Class 68?

If so, possibly as a different user than the installer runs as.
You did not remove the AP archive though I guess?

Sorry answering from my phone so not as easy to check back previous page of the thread.

--Tim
i7 4790 3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX770 2GB, 250GB SSD for Windows10 + TS2016
tnleeuw01
Very Active Forum Member

Postby tnleeuw01 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 pm

NB: I'm wondering of the batch script that runs as part of the JT installer, to extract various files from the AP archive, has an error somewhere during execution. And if so, if it's possible to somehow capture those errors - either by changing the script or by changing the way that the installer invokes the script. I'm afraid that capturing the errors without changing the installer or script itself, however, is very difficult if not impossible.

--Tim
tnleeuw01
Very Active Forum Member

Postby shinymac on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi Again Guys

Well..I am sorted !

I wanted to say a HUGE HUGE THANKS to GPTech for all his help in solving a rather unusual problem for me. I now have a Chiltern Class 68 to drive !. (Shame its engine is very quiet...no chance of a thrash then...lol.)

Seriously, we forum members are very lucky to have people like GPtech and others amongst us. Their help is invaluable.

Thanks guys...you are the tops !

Derek
shinymac
Established Forum Member

Postby tnleeuw01 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:47 pm

So what solved the problem in the end?

--Tim
tnleeuw01
Very Active Forum Member

Postby chrisonline on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:08 pm

You can't take go back and forth for two days saying "I can't get this to work" and then just sign off with "OK, I fixed it" ! ! !

You owe it to every one of us who have hung in there through two pages of posts, and watched the mystery unfold blow by blow with bated breath and no little smile (gptech vs davejc64) . . . to explain WHAT the problem was, and HOW it was resolved ! ! !

Curious minds want to know . . .
chrisonline
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gptech on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:51 am

Administrator account....

Not one of those feeble, user created ones but the all powerful, uberl geeky, disabled by default in-built Administrator account.---- Use with caution, you can do a lot of damage if you're not careful.
That and backing up, uninstalling, installing, backing up the 68, uninstalling, cleaning user accounts after disabling ol' geek one, reinstaling under normal user account, replacing backed up stuff......fair wore me out so spare a thought for the poor bloke following orders.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Postby chrisonline on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 am

gptech wrote:Administrator account....

Not one of those feeble, user created ones but the all powerful, uberl geeky, disabled by default in-built Administrator account.---- Use with caution, you can do a lot of damage if you're not careful.
That and backing up, uninstalling, installing, backing up the 68, uninstalling, cleaning user accounts after disabling ol' geek one, reinstaling under normal user account, replacing backed up stuff......fair wore me out so spare a thought for the poor bloke following orders.

- - - which explains why he didn't elaborate :)

OK, got the picture. Bank to the old addage . . . go back to square one.
chrisonline
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gptech on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:49 pm

chrisonline wrote:- - - which explains why he didn't elaborate

The poor bloke probably doesn't want to recall the stress I put him through!!...scarred for life he his!!

Looking back though, I'd hazard a guess that I went a little overboard--went for the 'last resort' before trialling the easier stuff, so whether simply disabling UAC would have done it is a matter for discussion. Thanks must be given to 'argumentative Dave' though; our *discussion* certainly set me off down the road that eventually sorted things, and of course the post in the Chiltern route thread by Peter that mentioned an Access Violation error when the .bat was invoked by the .exe. That provoked the line of reasoning (for want of a better word) that circumventing as much of the UAC type stuff as possible was the way to go.

...and I guess I/we just got lucky too!! :wink:
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Postby 749006 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:47 pm

shinymac wrote:I now have a Chiltern Class 68 to drive !. (Shame its engine is very quiet...no chance of a thrash then...lol.)

It's not bad in outside view :)

Peter
http://peter749.piwigo.com/
My Railway Pictures
Very Active Forum Member

Postby tnleeuw01 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Odd as I have UAC enabled as well. But perhaps there are differences between version of Windows involved?

--Tim
tnleeuw01
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gptech on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 pm

UAC shouldn't come into it really, not with the game out of what Windows might see as a system area. I used the acronym rather vaguely to encompass all the user account type/group/name security routines. I'mthinking along the lines of the .bat part of the installation routine failing because it didn't get the required clearances to access the class 68 folder/.ap archive. Running with all that lot circumvented was a lot easier for me to explain than sorting out permissions remotely, and I dare say a lot easier for Derek!
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Postby davejc64 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:54 am

Just glad the problem got sorted and if at least one ego got massaged on the way all's good. :lol:
davejc64
Very Active Forum Member

Previous

Return to [TS13-TS17] General Discussion