TS2014 Runtime error when editing a scenario

General discussion about RailWorks, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

TS2014 Runtime error when editing a scenario

Postby detectorman on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi All,
Have tried to edit a scenario and get the following error message before the editor can open.
error.JPG

Windows 7 32bit 4G ram
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave
detectorman
Getting the hang of things now

Re: TS2014 Runtime error when editing a scenario

Postby rivimey on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 pm

Things to try:

- Verify from the Local Files tab of Steam, and/or: Game Tools menu, Clean Cache

- If this is the first time run since the upgrade, run the installers under <.../common/Railworks/Install>. I suggest dotnetfx, vcredist and flashplayer are likely.

If no luck there, chances are there is a file in error.

for such things I find that using the Microsoft utility Process Monitor is best. You can get it as a free download from the MS site.

Start it up and set up a filter such that only events from the Railworks.exe program are logged. Start the logging going. Start Railworks and load your scenario.

As soon as the error report dialog appears, switch back to the monitor window and switch off capture. You now have a log of all the external-to-the program events that led up to the fault.

As I said, likely this is a file issue, so use the toolbar buttons to hide registry, and process events.

Start at the end and look back to find file references related to the game files and your scenario. There is likely one which doesn't complete and it is likely this is the culprit, but not certain.

Use RW_Tools or RWTextEdit as required to open the files that seem "interesting" and see if you can spot a problem.

HTH,
Ruth
Helping to build Cambridge Branch Lines in 1950 @ http://cambslines.ivimey.org
= - Personal : http://www.ivimey.org - = - Web Design : http://www.ivimey.com - =
rivimey
Everyone needs a hug!

Postby detectorman on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 am

Hi rivemy,
Thanks for the advice which I am working through.
This is a clean install of TS2014 but each time I verify game cache I get 112 files missing.
They are re-acquired but if I verify again I still get 112 files missing.
I have done this at least 8 times.
Dave
detectorman

Postby alanch on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:45 am

detectorman wrote:Hi rivemy,
Thanks for the advice which I am working through.
This is a clean install of TS2014 but each time I verify game cache I get 112 files missing.
They are re-acquired but if I verify again I still get 112 files missing.
I have done this at least 8 times.
Dave

Does the message really say the files are 'missing'? I suspect they are files that are written to when you run TS2014, and so don't match the checksum that Steam expects to see.
Alan

My railway photos are back - you can access them from https://plus.google.com/photos/10506703 ... banner=pwa . Lots of steam and early diesels from the late 1950s and early 1960s.
alanch
Very Active Forum Member

Postby kieranrossharvey on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:13 pm

If you have any armstrong powerhouse or other content like soundpacks that overwrite old sound files think that shoes up as files to be reaqquired hence why after verifying game cache you have to re install these.
kieranrossharvey
New to the Forums

Postby detectorman on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 pm

I have tried to edit a scenario in the Somerset & Dorset route and the editor loads.
When I try the same in Woodhead I continue to get the error message as previously posted.
Have again verified games cache integrity and get the message '198 files failed to validate and will be reaquired'
This is a clean install into an empty Railworks folder.
Processor monitor next I think.

Dave
detectorman

Postby gptech on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 pm

"xxx files failed to verify" only means Steam couldn't ascertain whether they were the right versions in the right places---it doesn't mean they're actually not present. A fail will happen if they are missing (obviously) but also if the Steam server and your PC can't communicate 'in a timely fashion' and part of the process times out. Trying to verify at 8pm when everybody hits Twitter/Facebook to comment about Coronation Street is a bad time.....network congestion = high chance of a verify not working y'see.

Have you followed Ruths advice and installed Viual C from the ..\common\Railworks\Install folder? As the error message says "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" in its top bar gives a clue as to where the problem lies so running the installer should be the first job.

You can enter the editor in S&DJR but not Woodhead; the former is older and much less demanding than the latter so lets just have a look at your resources.
You have 4GB of RAM, which is widely regarded as the bare minimum and as you have a 32 bit OS adding more RAM wouldn't be of use. Have you tried the 3GB switch---
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=361&t=120867
This could just free up enough resources to tip the balance.
The switch relate to VAS, Virtual Address Space which is composed both of real memory and hard drive space, so how much free space do you have on your hard drive?
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [TS13/TS14/TS15] General Discussion