UK Routes for TSW

General Discussion Topics

Re: UK Routes for TSW

Postby johnbarron on Tue May 16, 2017 8:37 am

Trev123 wrote:DTG are working on a UK and German route and possibly a French one.

How do you know that? Or is that just a guess?
johnbarron
Been on the forums for a while

Postby sem34090 on Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 am

I must admit that I did hear it elsewhere, but I don't think anything official has been released yet.
"I'm taking an early holiday (In Penzance) cos i know summer is always cancelled by Southern..."
sem34090
Getting the hang of things now

Postby michaelhendle on Tue May 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Maybe DTG could ask us the customer,what British Route we would like to made for TSW,on the Train simulator web page,or their Facebook Page,and not here because probably they hardly ever read this forum.
Mike
Ex South African Railways Employee,My favorite loco is a SAR\SAS 25C Condensing Locomotive
michaelhendle
Very Active Forum Member

Postby marcusboon on Tue May 16, 2017 3:17 pm

michaelhendle wrote:Maybe DTG could ask us the customer,what British Route we would like to made for TSW,on the Train simulator web page,or their Facebook Page,and not here because probably they hardly ever read this forum.

They just did a few days ago(although not restricted to just UK routes)...

https://www.facebook.com/railsimulator/ ... =3&theater

Marcus
marcusboon
Established Forum Member

Postby sem34090 on Tue May 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Hang On! When I started this, I didn't mean it to be a place to suggest ideas to DTG! I meant it to be a place for people to air their opinions and ideas as to what a good route would be, and they could be discussed. That's why I've made a few suggestions, so people can see what other people like and would like to see in the wonderful setting of TSW!

Anyone got any more ideas?

All the best,

sem34090
sem34090

Postby Trev123 on Wed May 17, 2017 9:03 pm

johnbarron wrote:
Trev123 wrote:DTG are working on a UK and German route and possibly a French one.

How do you know that? Or is that just a guess?

Nope. DTG have mentioned this on one of the many social media platforms that they post on. I'm not one for making assumptions. :)
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix 2GB OC graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Gamer since 1985
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Postby sem34090 on Thu May 18, 2017 12:20 am

Good to know DTG are working on one, but I suppose that it would be stupid for them not to!

Just to add, I'm also thinking future DLC/Addons here, rather than a first route (though that's fine too!) just to see what people think would look great in TSW. I think Settle-Carlisle would be a good bet, given the stunning scenics, or the West Highland. Both can feature steam locos too!

Regards,

sem34090
sem34090

Postby michaelhendle on Thu May 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi
Another route Yeovil Junction to Exeter Central,especially Honiton Bank,trains really struggled getting up it,,my Mum used to live at Honiton,when we used to visit her,we went by train,and would listen out for it and as soon as she heard the train starting the climb she would leave for the station to pick us up.

In summer weekends the heavy holiday trains would be banked from Seaton Junction to Honiton,usually a Std 4T,and in autumn there were freight trains from various stations,with bottled cider. :drinking:

In steam days even Merchant Navy locomotives had problems in the wet,class 33's would loose time climbing up,sometimes it could take them 30 minutes from the start of the bank until they entered Honiton Station,even the class 50's could struggle on it,the best diesels were the Ex Scottish Region 47.7,repainted in NSE Livery

Mike
michaelhendle
Very Active Forum Member

Postby dingerb on Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

just cant see DTG doing a steam route for the uk on TSW to start with. they would want max cover for mass appeal. somthing like theTarka line? imho.
dingerb

Postby sem34090 on Fri May 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Like the sound of honiton bank! Early 1960's perhaps? A Rebuilt Bulleid Thundering up with eight behind would be just glorious, you could even travel down to Honiton from the spawn point on a local, as a passenger, and able to walk through the train, maybe as a guard even, open a window on any coach and stick your head out as the 2MT coasts into the station. Get off, then walk back down the line (or somewhere in the station area) to find a vantage point to watch the Bulleid-hauled express. I've probably got my geography pretty muddled (I don't know the area that well!) and was not around at that time, but that would be marvellous.

Whilst I can see why DTG would go for a modern route, it would be nice if some steam could feature. If they were to do Exeter (Central or St Davids?) to Barnstaple - I believe that's what the 'Tarka' line is, based on where Tarka the Otter originated... - then it would be good if they did similar to the Riviera line in the current ts201x series and had a modern (Exeter - Barnstaple via Crediton etc) and a 1950's/1960's era (Exeter Central - Barnstaple Junction - Ilfracombe/Bideford & Torrington) which could gradually be expanded with extra addons, i.e. to include the line to Exmouth, and the GWR line to Plymouth and Paddington. I'd suggest stock for the modern one to be a Class 150 and Class 143 (PACER!!! With accurate 'nodding' effect...) and possibly a class 66 just to enable some freight operations (Though I seem to remember that the line doesn't see much, if any). A 'period' route could include an M7, Unrebuilt Bulleid Pacific, T9 and N Class, with Maunsell Coaches and period goods stock. The Maunsell Coaches could also include the 1959 push-pull variant (as modelled by Hornby) to work with the M7. Also, all of the stock would (hopefully) be able to be reskinned to cater for earlier periods and preservation.

My own solution, as I proposed originally, would be to have a modern route that also connects with a heritage railway, such as the Bluebell, Swange (That'd be nice!), Bodmin & Wenford, West Somerset, Keighley & Worth Valley, North York Moors (That'd be spectacular!), North Norfolk and probably many others. That way modern infastructure and stock, and steam era infastructure & stock could be modelled, aiding those wishing to build their own routes. Using the Swanage Railway as an example, if DTG modelled the SWT Class 450 & 444 for Mainline services, then an M7, Bulleid Pacific & MK1 coaches for the heritage route then that would enable others to build SWT routes, using modern infastructure and stock, and others could build a BR 1960's route using suitable stock and infastructure. If the initial route was (say) Bournemouth - Weymouth, then all sorts of extra addon locos and stock to be produced by DTG and (hopefully) third parties, then we could at least see more variety than three identically liveried diesel locos!

Regards,

sem34090
sem34090

Postby JackRyan on Sat May 20, 2017 7:25 am

At this point I would settle to anythng just to play it again because I'm a bit bored of american mountains.
However, after a mostly boring american route set in the middle of nowhere, if they want to attract customers they should probably go with a main line with mixed passengers commuter and long haul freights.
JackRyan

Postby sem34090 on Sat May 20, 2017 8:16 am

I haven't even bought TSW yet: simply because I have no (or at least incredibly limited to British-Built objects!) interest in American Railroads! I agree with your point, and think that something like Bradford Forster Square to Carlisle, including the KWVR and all goods-only lines, plus the S&C semaphore signals, would attract a reasonably large audience.The KWVR provides heritage and period stock and infastructure, the Bradford - Skipton part is overhead electrified, and the S&C sees plenty of freight as well as railtours and normal passenger service. You've got you magnificent open spaces, but also the commuter run from Skipton - Bradford, and the short run of the KWVR. The only people left to please then are those who want a period route (I do, but heritage railways will do!) or 3rd Rail routes (I do! But anything is better than nothing!). The route could be backdated with reasonable ease, but I'd suggest for the initial release including the following stock in the route above:
Mainline Passenger:
Class 332 (Bradford - Leeds)
Class 158 (Skipton - Carlisle)
Mainline Freight
Class 66 with various modern wagons
Railtour & Heritage
LMS 'Jubilee' 4-6-0 (Used on railtours and one at KWVR I think too!)
GWR 57xx Pannier (KWVR - Could be offered in GWR, BR & Railway Children - GNSR - liveries)
L&YR Class 25 0-6-0 (KWVR - Could be offered in L&Y, LMS, BR & Railway Children - GNSR Green - Liveries)
Various pannelled coaching stock (Can be offered in original and Railway Children - GNSR Red & White - Liveries)
BR MK1 Coaches (In both KWVR and West Coast Railways liveries.

The idea of being able to walk around could also be nice at Keighley, getting off a mainline train and walking over the footbridge to the KWVR where a Pannier waits with a train of MK1's for a trip down to Oxenhope. You could get off a train at Ribblehead and walk down to the viaduct or up to Blea Moor, before flagging down a train (That'd be a nice feature!) and heading back down to Settle. It'd be great if you could also act as a guard possibly. Whether or not these features might be offered we don't know yet, as there have been no passenger stock modelled yet. Hopefully (on corridor stock) free movement will be allowed around the coaches and various functions, like opening windows will work. Also, for slam-door stock, it would be nice if only some doors opened when the train stopped: it is very rare to see every door open on standard coaches (SR EMU's Excepted!), so it would be great if random doors could open at stations, and if the player could open coach doors and windows as they choose. Finally, the passengers should actually get on and get off the train, rather than vapourising as they approach the doors!

All the best,

sem34090
sem34090

Postby michaelhendle on Sun May 21, 2017 12:15 pm

When I mentioned Honiton I meant it to be in NSE era to date,if it started from Axminster which is where local trains start from,then you could use 153 Bubble cars, 142\3, NSE\SWT 159,OR NSE 33,47,50,+MK2 Coaches.

If it ran from Exeter St Davids,through Central then onto Axminster,it could also have the Exmouth Branch,at a later date it could be extended to Yeovil Junction,or on to Salisbury.

If it was back dated you would have to add in Seaton and Sidmouth Junctions,and the Lyme Regis Branch at Axminster,and of course double track the route again.

Mike
michaelhendle
Very Active Forum Member

Postby twirlycactus on Mon May 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Perhaps the East Coastway line; Brighton & Haywards Heath to Seaford & Ore (via Eastbourne & Hastings)

Its about 60 miles all in with a variety of different sevvices and some nice scenery
PC Specs: Intel i5 2.80GHz, 8GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 & 240 GB SSD
twirlycactus
Established Forum Member

Postby sem34090 on Mon May 22, 2017 10:06 pm

NSE! That'd be nice, and would look great, though I'm afraid I have a steam/SR electric bias! Add to that LUL too... A class 50 thrashing up the bank with your head out the first coach window would be something really very special!

East Coastway eh?! I'd possibly suggest that the East Coastway from Hastings - Brighton (Including the Branch Lines) then the West Coastway to Bognor Regis would be a good, rather picturesque, route. Rolling stock would be easy as Class 377's and Class 313's are pretty well all that can be found on the Coastway (I know it well, and indeed use it regularly!), with 158's being the only deviation on the GWR Portsmouth - Brighton - Bristol TM/Great Malvern services. Obviously there's the 700's and 387's at Brighton (No 319's or 442's now. :( ) but I expect 313's and 377's would be all that's needed.

If the route was to be Southampton - Brighton West Coastway then Brighton - Seaford East Coastway (One route, though they aren't directly joined) then it might be a bit more interesting on the freight side, as passenger trains do get rather boring after a while. If that was the route then I'd suggest stock to be the Class 313, Class 377, Class 450 and Class 66 with Mendip Stone Wagons (For the infrequent Chichester Ballast Flows) Container Flats (For working into Southampton Docks) and Network Rail JNA's (?) for the Sunday Engineering Workings. Then offer classes 444, 158 and 387 as expansion packs if TSW can manage those, and then The Portsmouth Direct, London - Brighton and South Western Mainline could all reuse parts of the route and the stock, and possibly be combined together. Add in the East Coastway all the way to Ashford Itnl and you've got one big route onto which the rest of S.E. England can be built!
So, a modern stocklist!
Southern Class 313 EMU (Southern 'Coastway')
Southern Class 377 EMU (Southern 'Standard')
SWT Class 450 EMU (SWT Blue)
GM Class 66 (DBS Red, EWS Maroon/Gold, Freighliner Powerhaul and many more...)
Modern Wagon Stock (Engineers, Stone & Containers)

If a period option was offered (Or several!) then I would suggest the following:
1980's:
4-CIG EMU (NSE & B/G)*
4-BIG EMU (NSE & B/G)*
4-EPB EMU (NSE & B/G)**
2-EPB EMU (NSE & B/G)**
2-HAP EMU (NSE & B/G)**
Class 33 (Dutch, NSE & Blue)
Class 73 (Dutch, NSE, I/C, LL Blue & Rail Blue)
Class 47 (ALL Period LIVERIES!!!)
MK1 Coaches*
Container Flats
MK1 Parcels vehicles*
Ballast Hoppers & Ballast Brake Van
* Shared Components, Coaches & Physics
**Shared Components, Coaches & Physics
1960's
2-BIL EMU*** (BR Green)
2-HAL EMU*** (BR Green)
4-SUB EMU (BR Green)
Ex-LBSCR C2x 0-6-0 (BR Black)
Ex-LSWR M7 0-4-4T (BR Lined Black)
Ex-LBSCR A1x 0-6-0T**** (BR Lined Black)
SR N or U 2-6-0 'Mogul' (BR Lined Black)
Maunsell Coaches*** (BR Green)
BR-Built Push-Pull Coaches*** (BR Green)
SR & BR Period Wagons (N/A)
***Shared Components, Coaches & Physics
****If Hayling Island Branch is included
1930's
Note: Based on Seaford - Bognor Regis (Including closed branches) to maintain a reasonably low level of stock!
2-BIL EMU*** (SR Olive Green)
2-HAL EMU*** (SR Olive Green)
Ex-LBSCR Class D1 0-4-2T (SR Olive Green)*****
Ex-LBSCR Class C2x 0-6-0 (SR Black)
Ex LBSCR Class E1 0-6-0T (SR Olive Green)*****
Ex LBSCR Class I3 4-4-2T (SR Olive Green)
Ex-LBSCR Arc-Roofed Coaching Stock******(SR Green)
Ex-LBSCR Push-Pull Set****** (SR Green)
SR Maunsell Coaches*** (SR Green)
Ex-LBSCR & SR Wagons (SR Brown)
***Shared Components, Coaches & Physics
*****Many Shared Components
******Shared Components, Coaches & Physics
1900's
Note: Based on Seaford - Bognor (Including closed branches) to avoid having to include LSWR & SECR stock!
LBSCR Class D1 0-4-2T***** (Stroudley IEG & Marsh Umber)
LBSCR Class E1 0-6-0T***** (Stroudley IEG & Marsh Umber)
LBSCR Class D2 0-4-2***** (Stroudley IEG & Marsh Umber)
LBSCR Class A1 0-6-0T (Stroudley IEG & Marsh Umber)
LBSCR Class B4 4-4-0 (Stroudley IEG & Marsh Umber)
LBSCR Arc-Roofed Bogie Coaches (Mahogany, Umber & White and Plain Umber)******
LBSCR Stroudley 4-Wheeled Coaches (Mahogany & Plain Umber)
LBSCR Push-Pull Set******
LBSCR Goods Stock (LBSCR Grey)
*****These locos all share common parts (I think!) the E1, D1 & D2 share boilers, the E1 & D1 share all above-footplate features and the D1 & D2 share all below-footlplate features. This enables 3 locos for much less effort!
******These coaches are essentially to the same designs!

Cor that's a long list!

No need to worry about it not being high profile given the current disarray our railways down here are suffering!

The reason I've included the old stuff is because I quite like the idea of TSW being used in a way that we are able to actually experience a previous era, especially when no one or very few people are left who can remember it. Unlike previous train sims, you can walk about in TSW so can actually get an impression of what it might have been like to see that period. I can understand the wish for modern routes, but I can walk out my door and see the present day, I don't need a simulator to do that! If I want to travel on a class 313 (albeit not drive one!) I can go to my nearest station! But to be able to, say, travel from Brighton to Littlehampton (Before some stations, such as Durrington, were even built!) behind an LBSCR D1 at around 40MPH in a four-wheeler, would be special. Even to model the NSE era, or the 1960's. It's the same thing: experiencing the past. What does everyone else think of this idea?

Sorry for the long post! I didn't mean to ramble quite that much!

All the Best,

sem34090
sem34090

PreviousNext

Return to [TSW] General Discussion